Deployment of Firmware 2.0 is starting very soon (6PM UTC). Just a reminder to keep your devices connected to Ethernet tonight, thank you! Here’s some information on this release.
Bug Fixes for Device Firmware 2.0
- “Wrong Wallet Adress” error for QR Code onboarding: This error is now fixed and wallet adress can be read correctly. As always, let the device run for at least 10 minutes until generating the QR Code, as the miner software is very busy when first booting up.
- Dashboard stays or goes offline: This error is now fixed as well. There’s now a service running that automatically checks the state of the dashboard and reliably re-enables it after reboot. After tests on 50 devices that had this behaviour, the dashboard is running perfectly fine on all 50 devices after multiple days and forceful reboots.
- Miner stuck at specific sync height: On some devices, the miner stopped syncing, but was otherwise working normally. During installation of Firmware 2.0, the miner will check if sync_state of the miner container is active. If not, it will re-enable it, which will resume syncing. If it doesn’t work, it will do several checks and do an automatic re-installation of the container if needed. Furthermore, a button to resume sync if not active will be added to the next Diagnostics Dashboard version 1.07
- Packet Forwarder not running: This is a very rare issue, but still happened on a handful of devices. We have applied a monitoring script that checks if the LoRa packet forwarder is running. If not, it will do several checks and attempt to automatically self-heal itself. The miner container will be stopped for a few seconds during this process and re-enabled after everything works fine.
Diagnostics Dashboard 1.06 Updates
The 1.06 Update was already enabled on most of devices, and for those who didn’t got one, it will be shipped with Firmware 2.0. These are the improvements:
- Easier Onboarding with Deep Link: You can now press a button on the dashboard instead of scanning a QR code. This makes onboarding more easy if you logged into it over the phone. Just press the button beneath the QR code after generation. The button contains a deep link to the Helium app – the app should start up automatically and ask you to register the device.
- Instasync re-enabled: Instasync is now re-enabled after multiple issues were identified. Instasync will grab a snapshot of the Blockchain that is max. 240 blocks behind. Instasync command takes quite a while (up to 10 minutes), so please don’t press anything in the dashboard after you have started instasync and wait until the command finishes. Also, don’t use instasync if you are already synced (roughly 200-250 blocks behind the Helium blockchain max).
- Several minor bug-fixes
The much requested password change feature is on our high priority list for this week, as well as more granular diagnostics options.